AUTHOR AND MANAGEMENT CONSULTANT
An internationally-recognized expert on transforming organizations, Stew Liff works with businesses, governments, and organizations to create more productive and effective places to work. He is President and CEO of Stewart Liff & Associates, Inc., a California-based human resources consulting company specializing in management training, human resource consulting, management consulting, executive coaching, and motivational speaking.
An award-winning writer, Stew is the author of seven books. Stew is one of the world’s foremost authorities on visual performance management. This is an effective and established management consulting strategy he developed that combines the fine arts with systems design, human resources, and performance management principles to boost morale, increase collaboration, reduce duplication and create a more efficient operation.
For three decades, Stew has held many high-level and senior executive positions, particularly with the federal government. He has transformed, turned around and modernized some of the most challenging government institutions, even those with thousands of employees. He has helped organizations design and implement extraordinary human resource management (HRM) programs and develop high-performing, self-managed teams.
Stew has received some of the highest awards in government for his innovative approach to management including “The President’s Council on Management Improvement Award, “The Presidential Rank Award for Meritorious Service,” and the prestigious “Performance Incentives Leadership Linked to Achieving Results (PILLAR) Award”. Stew’s work has also been featured in several other highly-regarded books and publications, including Teams Work: Lessons from Successful Organizations, Millennial Momentum: How a New Generation Is Remaking America, Government Executive Magazine, Running in the Wind: Mendenhall – 5 Strategies for Building a Successful Team and VA’s Vanguard Magazine.
Stew has written or co-authored seven acclaimed books on HRM, including:
- Seeing Is Believing: How the New Art of Visual Management Can Boost Performance Throughout Your Organization, co-authored with Pamela A. Posey, D.B.A., a highly
acclaimed book, which describes the principles, methodology, real-world examples and expected results of his revolutionary visual performance management approach.
- Managing Government Employees: How to Motivate Them, Deal with Difficult Issues and Achieve Tangible Results, which is widely considered to be the best book ever written on managing in government.
- Managing Your Government Career: How to Arrive, Survive and Thrive, The Complete Guide to Hiring and Firing a Government Employee.
- Improving the Performance of Government Employees.
- A Team of Leaders: Empowering Every Member to Take Ownership, Demonstrate Initiative, and Deliver Results, co-authored with Paul Gustavson. This describes how to build high performing, self-managed teams. It was named one of the “30 Best Business Books of 2014” by Soundview Executive Book Summaries and was named the “Leadership Book of the Week” by The Washington Post.
A prolific author, Stew has published many articles in the United States and other countries. He currently writes a column for Government Executive and is also a member of the Mentors Guild.
A talented artist, Stew earned a bachelor’s degree in fine arts from Queens College and a master’s degree in fine arts from Hunter College. He currently resides in Santa Clarita, California with his wife Lisa.